• Trending Topics:    
  • 2024 Election
  • Joe Biden
  • Donald Trump
  • Congress
  • Faith
  • Sports
  • Immigration
IJR
  • Politics
  • US News
  • Commentary
  • World News
  • Faith
  • Latest Headlines
No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • US News
  • Commentary
  • World News
  • Faith
  • Latest Headlines
No Result
View All Result
IJR
No Result
View All Result
Home Wire

Commentary: Facebook Reverses Course, Will No Longer Remove Posts Saying COVID Was Manmade

Western Journal by Western Journal
May 27, 2021 at 2:05 pm
in Wire
240 12
0
Facebook Oversight Board Extends Timeline To Decide on Trump Ban

FILE PHOTO: The Facebook logo is displayed on their website in an illustration photo taken in Bordeaux, France, February 1, 2017. REUTERS/Regis Duvignau/File Photo

491
SHARES
1.4k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Facebook is walking back its censorship of users who promote the theory that the COVID-19 virus originated in a Wuhan, China, lab as the concept picks up steam around the country.

According to Politico, a Facebook representative said the tech giant pulled the “origin language” from its list of “misleading health claims” on Wednesday following resurging skepticism surrounding the virus’ origin.

“In light of ongoing investigations into the origin of COVID-19 and in consultation with public health experts, we will no longer remove the claim that COVID-19 is man-made from our apps,” the representative said.

“We’re continuing to work with health experts to keep pace with the evolving nature of the pandemic and regularly update our policies as new facts and trends emerge.”

The “policy tweak” also comes after a Wall Street Journal report this week that said three scientists at the highly suspect Wuhan Virology Institute were hospitalized with COVID-like symptoms in late 2019.

For over a year, any notion that the virus’ origins were suspicious was dismissed as conspiratorial fodder.

But as developments continually surface, the idea seems increasingly likely.

President Joe Biden said in a statement on Wednesday he has ordered the intelligence community to further investigate the virus’ origin and report back to his administration in 90 days.

Biden also said the animal-to-human transmission theory and the laboratory leak theory have split the intelligence community.

New attention the laboratory leak theory has garnered now allows for a more open COVID discourse on various platforms —  a discourse that should have been allowed and encouraged from the start.

Facebook’s notorious history of slapping bans on users whose views are deemed “problematic” or censoring their posts has proved to be suppressive and valueless yet again.

Nicholas Wade, a scientific reporter, published an article on Medium earlier this month as to how COVID-19 originated.

“It’s important to note that so far there is no direct evidence for either theory,” Wade said. “Each depends on a set of reasonable conjectures but so far lacks proof. So I have only clues, not conclusions, to offer.”

After examining what is known about both theories, he wrote, “Natural emergence remained a conjecture which, however plausible to begin with, had gained not a shred of supporting evidence in over a year. And as long as that remains the case, it’s logical to pay serious attention to the alternative conjecture, that SARS2 escaped from a lab.”

At the time, Facebook censored the article.

After jumping to censor articles or posts even hinting at the laboratory leak theory, recent developments prove this Facebook policy should have never been implemented.

Without any conclusive evidence to support either the animal-to-human transmission or laboratory leak theories, the tech giant should not have rushed to censor free discussion surrounding the virus’s origin.

The company proved eager to dismiss any narrative from Republicans such as former President Donald Trump, Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton and former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, including the lab leak theory.

And yet again, politically motivated censorship proves flawed.

Facebook should be embarrassed for the unreasonable censorship that has plagued the platform for so long.

And now that the tech giant has to backtrack on such a crucial part of its touted COVID narrative, one can only hope that it will stop the practice.

This article appeared originally on The Western Journal.

Tags: Coronavirus Outbreak
[firefly_poll]

Join Over 6M Subscribers

We’re organizing an online community to elevate trusted voices on all sides so that you can be fully informed.





  • About Us
  • GDPR Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
  • Editorial Standards & Corrections Policy
  • Subscribe to IJR

© 2025 JNews - Premium WordPress news & magazine theme by Jegtheme.

No Result
View All Result
  • Politics
  • US News
  • Commentary
  • World News
  • Faith
  • Latest Headlines

© 2025 JNews - Premium WordPress news & magazine theme by Jegtheme.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In

Thanks for reading IJR

Create your free account or log in to continue reading

Please enter a valid email
Forgot password?

By providing your information, you are entitled to Independent Journal Review`s email news updates free of charge. You also agree to our Privacy Policy and newsletter email usage